On memorial day weekend, I embarked on a project I’ve been trying to find the time to do since before we moved into the house — refinish some cabinets in our kitchen. My mom found these for us at an estate sale in probably September and we stored them at the house we rented while we remodelled and then moved them here where they were put to use. They probably have found a home in about 4 rooms of our house since we first moved them into the kitchen (below) but finally we were ready and that green color had to go.
I started the process by preparing them for paint. I set them outside and stripped their hardware and then gave them a good cleaning with mineral spirits.
As you can see, these shelves had gotten very dusty and the mineral spirits did a lot of good getting them cleaned and ready for paint. I then had a few spots that needed sanding. I sanded to a nice smooth finish and ended with cabinets that were ready to paint.
At this stage, we moved inside. It was so hot that day that the heat of the cabinets combined with the sun was causing my primer to partially dry when it hit the surface. I shook out my drop cloth, spread it out in the kitchen, and took over the eat-in side of things.
As you can see, the primer went on a little streaky. Painting ultimately meant one coat of primer and two coats of paint. I think that the paint would have covered better on the first coat if I would have used a better brush when I primed. Next time I paint furniture, I’ll probably be a little bit pickier on the priming process. We’ll see if I get different results.
On July 22, 2011, I added this to Modern Country Style’s paint party link up! If you’re coming from there, check out the rest of our site! If you’re from elsewhere, check out the paint party link up. There are so many fun projects.