This weekend Kyle was in Colorado to coach his debate team so I decided to surprise him by taking part in YoungHouseLove’s Pinterest Challenge and making one of those headboards I’d been thinking about DIYing for a while. In my inspiration post for this project, I talked about wanting to do a headboard that enveloped the bed. When I sketched out plans for it, I decided to go a different direction and envelope the bed with scale instead of trying to figure out how to upholster the interior corner of a headboard. Had I decided to go with the outside edge, I probably would have ended up using ribbon to cover the seams on the interior corner, but that was a little more work than I wanted to do and probably would have increased the cost of the project more than I wanted to. After all, I was building headboards to try to unwind after a particularly long and stressful week at work.
Here’s the rundown on the steps I took to finish this project:
- Gather inspiration on Pinterest and dream
- Sketch a design
- Take measurements
- Buy supplies
- Cut board/drill holes for buttons
- Attach batting
- Cover with fabric
- Add buttons
- Sleep and enjoy
You’ve already read about my inspiration so we’ll skip to the design. When I first started sketching, I wasn’t near my bed so I did the measuring/sketching steps in reverse from my usual plan of attack.
I did a little research and discovered that I could buy 4′ x 8′ sheets of particle board. I played around with the design a little and decided that our bed with bed rails, box spring, mattress, and deep pillow topper would probably be too tall for a 4′ headboard so I would need to buy two sheets. I then decided to just double the height of the bed for the headboard and to keep the width of the headboard at 8′. Eight feet equals 96 inches, providing about 10 inches of overhang on either side of the bed. I also decided to keep the two boards separate rather than try to join them. It makes it a lot easier to move them!
In addition to the drill and staple gun that we already owned, I purchased:
- 2- 4′ x 8′ sheets of particle board
- 1 – Extra plush 110″ x 110″ quilt batting
- 1 – Set of full-sized sheets
- 4 – Button kits
At Lowe’s, I had them cut the 4’x8′ sheets to 4 x 5’4″ and 4x 2’6″ sheets. The bed turned out to be 32″ from the floor. I actually asked them to cut it to 5’x4′ boards but apparently was misheard and didn’t realize it until I got home.
I also decided to buy a set of sheets because it was cheaper than fabric, was much softer than the fabric I would have purchased otherwise, and meant I got two bonus pillow cases. Okay. I forgot it meant two extra pillowcases until I got home, but I was super excited. Also, because it was a set that came in a bag made out of the same material, I didn’t need extra fabric to make the buttons.
Once I had plans and supplies, I began measuring for the placement of the buttons. I first measured 11″ from the top and then 11″ from the first mark on both the left and right sides of one board. Next, I leveled at the 11″ marks and made a mark at each foot for a total of 6 button marks.
Next, I drilled a hole in each of my six marks. Then, I leveled the boards together and marked the second board using the holes in the first board as guides. After drilling those holes, I opted for a bigger drill bit and drilled a second hole a little below and to the right of the first. The different drill bit guaranteed that it was easier to tell which hole was the one that lined up the button.
After the holes were in place, I covered the boards in batting. I cut the batting down the middle-ish and covered one side of each board with it.
With the batting secured, I cut off the excess you see above and secured it to the top of the front to add a little extra cushion. Then, I cut a shorter edge and draped the sheets over the batting.
I began with the corners and pulled it tight to create a good corner at the top.
After stapling the sheets at the perimeter of the board, I stapled any excess so it would lay flat across the board without requiring cutting the sheets. I then created and attached the buttons. As I said before, I cut the buttons out of the fabric bag that held the sheet set. If you were buying individual sheets, you could easily buy a pillowcase or cut from the spare fabric.
I used the smaller hole to guide the needle to the front of the headboard, laced the button onto it, and fed it back through, using the bigger hole. I just tied the ends of the thread together to secure the button in place.
Finally, my headboard was complete and the two pieces could be moved together in our bedroom!
Now, I just need to get a couple new sets of pillowcases that match the whole thing and find new side tables! Our bedroom is really coming together.