I finally did it! I decided on a plan for making my own Kindle case and it actually turned out pretty nice even though I didn’t sew a bit!
- a pack of fabric quarters (or two quarters)
- elastic (I chose wide because I liked the color, but a thinner kind would work, too.)
- no-sew seam tape
- a hot glue gun
- a repurposed kindle-sized book (I used a Bob Dole autobiography we’d gotten in a grab bag at a book sale several years ago.)
- a tape measure
- an iron and an ironing board
First, I cut everything so I could clear my work space of scrap. I cut both front and back covers cleanly off the book and used my kindle as a template to cut the fabric and batting.
Next, I glued or seamed everything together. I used the no sew seam tape to bond the cover fabric to the batting and the hot glue gun to bond the interior fabric to the book. Then, I attached the elastic also with the hot glue gun. Since the elastic was wide, I cut strips of it in half and glued that to hold the kindle in place. I used a wide strap around the front of it to hold it closed.
I’m pretty happy with the final product! The batting makes it comfortable to hold, the elastic keeps the cover in place when I’m not reading and out of the way when I am, and the book gives it nice support. I can even use the book cover to prop it up if I want to!
There are a few things I would do differently next time. I made the batting and cover fabric a little bigger than the book/kindle. I thought I’d like the wider dimensions but it kind of gets in the way and I’m paranoid about it causing the fabric to bend and then get stuck out of shape. It could also use double or even triple the batting.
For now, I’m really excited about it. And I that pack of quarters only cost me $6.50 and I have enough fabric to make six or so more cases! Lots of possibilities!