Our one major goal after last winter was to live in a warmer house come this winter. We’ve been lucky as the weather has really helped with that goal. Except for a few days, including this one, we’ve had a very mild winter. Still, our goal was to make the house more efficient and not to just magically make the weather warmer… so we’ve been slowly working on a few projects.
I mentioned a few months ago that we were hoping to turn the reach-in master closet into a cloffice and shared my inspiration for the finished product. We finally made some headway on the project when we got the closet cleaned out and hung drywall.
Here’s a peak at where we started:
We started with this closet that had been quasi-finished by the previous owners of the house.
We also started with this much stuff in the closet, in addition to the old box spring in the above photo that goes with the queen mattress upstairs but won’t fit around the dogleg in the staircase. All of that stuff had to go somewhere when the closet was finished, so we also had to clean the closet under the stairs to make room for it. This means I have to share the following horrifying photo:
Yikes! I’m pretty sure that closet had a box of nonperishables that hadn’t been unpacked from our move, two window panes from the window we took out of the kitchen, a bag of trash from one of the many days we cleaned up during remodelling to get the place ready for whatever was next, and a bunch of other things I would rather forget that I once shoved in a closet.
Kyle tackled the closet refinishing and I tackled the cleaning.
And Logan tackled the climbing around on the piles of stuff that had came out of the closet.
Kyle began by taking out all of the insulation and fixtures to make the plyboard covered walls ready to frame over and drywall.
That’s when he discovered that all of the fixtures were secured in with long nails many of which were quite a struggle to pry out.
This ductwork was one of the biggest problems. The house didn’t have forced air heating or cooling on the second floor when we took possession of the house. The owner of one of our great local heating and cooling companies figured out a strategy to get ducts upstairs. Part of this strategy involved ducts running through our closet. The unfinished basement let a lot of cold drafts in from that hole so we insulated around the ducts as best we could, framed in the area, and insulated around the interior walls in the little space so that we could limit the cold draft’s movement into the rest of our house.
Next, we added another level of 2x4s to the wall. We knew that it was insulated behind the plyboard and the location of the 2x4s so this step was fairly easy.
After the framing was done, Kyle had to complete a series of much more difficult math equations to get the drywall hung. Luckily, our friend Greg showed up — it would seem that there is like a bat signal for him anytime we start doing work on our house — and helped him with some of the harder parts of it. The final result (pre-mud) was better than I imagined!
You don’t even have to wear socks to walk in front of the closet anymore!
Meanwhile, under the stairs…
My closet project finished nicely, too! All of the stuff that had been in both closets is now put in a correct place around the house or organized into just one closet. And, everything is pretty easily accessible in this closet too. I’ll admit, it took me a few days to adjust to not being able to just open the door and throw something in when we had to put it away.